Posted to alt.home.repair
Ted[_35_] Ted[_35_] is offline

Default Drivers wait in line to charge Teslas

On 12/12/19 11:18 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 10:59:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 10:27:08 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 12/12/2019 10:05 AM, Ted wrote:
On 12/12/19 7:42 AM, Frank wrote:
On 12/11/2019 11:23 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...
rivers waiting "hours" to charge their Teslas.Â* Interesting that they
all have their headlights on, and probably their radios too.

Plan ahead!Â* Still a long way to go to integrate a reliable system.

Looks like it may take about an hour or so to fully charge one off those
things.Â* So if there are 6 cars ahead of you, you might as well start
walking.

Electric cars are not for long trips.Â* Totally stupid and only good
for local use and only driving a few thousand miles every year and
then Tesla's cost over $50,000.

Yah, the Tesla is a nice toy but you could buy a real car for $50k and
take it on a 600 mile day trip.

That said, I really do like Tesla's use of flat-panel display dashboards
instead of a cluster-fluck of old-fashioned steam-powered gauges.

My brother in law bought an older used Volt cheap just for those type toys.

Years ago when electronic type dashes were coming out a woman in
marketing in our company had a Buick with one and there was an
electrical problem. The car ran fine except she did not know how fast
she was going as the speedometer was part of the display.

I suppose she was a woman and didn't care if she had low oil pressure,
a failed charging system, overheating, running out of gas or any of
the other information available on the most rudimentary dash displays.

Do you even know any women? I'm continually frustrated by cars that have
idiot lights that tell you when you're already in trouble rather than
gauges that tell you before the trouble gets that bad.

It might have been able to tell me my alternator was going south,
rather than finding out by having it fail catastrophically in a
left-turn lane during morning rush hour. "Catastrophically" means:
it bricked the entire electrical system and I couldn't even run the
hazard flashers.

Cindy Hamilton

A flat panel display could flash a meaningful message like "Charging system voltage low! or "Oil pressure low" or "Gas cap loose" instead of a cryptic ODBII code.