Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why do thermometers never agree?

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 20:10:10 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0cpafp2mwdg98l@glass...
On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 07:24:12 -0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 10/12/2019 20:57, Hawk wrote:
I have three thermometers, they read the same when placed next to each
other. Put one in another room, and it reads colder, yet I can feel as
I walk into the room that it's warmer.

They don't agree Because one is Republican, the other is Democrat and
the third is most likely Libertarian.

Or the humidity is different

In a humid summer I want my car at 19C. In dry cold winder 22 is more
the mark.

I'm really not that fussy.

And what you're saying appears to be backwards. When it's humid,
temperatures feel more extreme either way (think butterfly house - 100%
humidity, your sweat can't evaporate), so you should be feeling not quite
as cold when the winter is dry. Although I've never know a dry winter.
Winter is usually 100% humidity here in Scotland. That means your skin is
damp and you feel colder. A dry winter should feel a bit warmer.

We do get dr7 winters here quite a bit of the time and it feels colder than
with hither humidity.

I don't see why that would be true. I can understand humidity in summer stopping you from sweating so easily, so you feel hotter. But in winter, you aren't sweating. I would have thought if the air is damper in winter, more heat would be conducted away from you. Perhaps if you're wet for some reason, like it's been raining, then you cause more evaporation when it's less humid? But it wouldn't have rained if it was dry! Maybe it's the damp on your skin evaporating as skin is always a little bit moist? I'm having to guess here as I'm not fussy enough to notice the difference, unless I walked from one place directly to another with different humidity and the same temperature.