Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why do thermometers never agree?

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 15:03:55 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 10 December 2019 19:56:49 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 19:40:18 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote

I have three thermometers, they read the same when placed
next to each other. Put one in another room, and it reads
colder, yet I can feel as I walk into the room that it's warmer.

How a room feels depends on a lot more than
just the air temp, the temperature of the walls
is just as important to how warm it feels.

What's important to a person is how warm it feels. I guess thermometers should be hung in the centre of the room, so they smack you in the face as you walk in.

The offical way of measure IIRC is 1 metre off the floor,

I always put them at eye level, easier to read. Who cares if it says 22C instead of 20C, you just learn you like "22C".

which is why when we had our temp tested the workman came in a asked for a ladder so they could get up close to the heating system and hold their thermometers there to getv a reading of 20C, pity that at 1 metre is was below 12C and in one case as low as 5C.

Why would you need your temp tested? If you want it warmer, turn the heating up. If you want it cooler, open a window. Take action yourself instead of moaning and blaming someone else.