Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Exterior metal door with wood core - needs repair @ bottom

On Thursday, December 12, 2019 at 1:59:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi,
I have an exterior metal entry door and noticed that the doorsweep fell off the bottom. When I looked closer, I realized that the interior of the door is made of wood and the bottom INTERIOR frame of the door had rotted out completely and fallen away.

Photo he
https://i899.photobucket.com/albums/...psqhwr5yd2.jpg

Rest of the door works fine and is solid so, ideally, I would like to just chisel out a little more of the rotten wood from the bottom, and replace with a new piece of wood in order to make it solid again.

Has anyone had similar experience with such a door?
Any pros/cons to repair?
Maybe use treated wood with stainless screws?
Thanks
Theodore

To chisel it out to fit a new piece will be very difficult. I would remove the
rot, scrape it out, then fill it with epoxy body filler. Sand it after a few
minutes when it's hard, but still not super hard. You can get a quart of
filler at Walmart for $8 or so. If the void is so large that you can fit in
a new piece of pressure treated wood, you could do the filler first, then
the new piece of wood.