Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default portable light for shop/ garage

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 5:46:55 PM UTC-5, Clifford Heath wrote:

That seems like a very low price. These things need a *substantial*
heatsink and/or forced air - the LED alone will die almost instantly

That is why I posted. I think it is a very low price. The lamp is a 5 by 10 matrix of leds so for a 50 watt fixture it has one watt for each led. And the housing is an aluminum casting. May not be substantial enough but I think it will be okay.

We have a fixed 50W LED flood for the back yard, and it's incredible for
that porpoise.

I wouldn't want one in the garage (8' ceiling) because it's just too
much light from one very small region. You get dazzled by reflections
from everywhere and can't see anything in the deep shadows.

The garage has three bays and the currently has a 1500 lumen light bulb in each bay. But that is not enough light. especially if one is working under a car or lawn tractor. You may be right, it might not be an improvement, but it will not have cost too much to try it out.

Dan

I think shop lighting needs to come from many angles - like multiple
long flouro tubes or the LED equivalent. If you have a very high ceiling
(15' or more) it would be different, but then you probably still need at
least four separate fittings.

Clifford Heath