Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shopping for a new washer: Whirlpool vs Roper

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 10:47:35 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/11/2019 9:26 AM, wrote:

Often the Roper is the same as a Whirlpool, but with out some features.
Such as sound proofing material or they wll leve off some functions
and/or buttons that many may not need or want anyway.

About like buying car. There will be several 'standard' options if it
is a lx,xle,se or what ever letters may be associated with that brand.

What is the consensus here about the reliability and total life cost of electronic vs mechanical controls.

I try to buy mechanical controls.

I know they will eventually wear out but they will be less expensive to repair and are more immune to power surges.

Mark

I've replaced mechanical controls, so far, never had a problem with
electronic. Near impossible to get mechanical anything these days.

I live in one of the most lightning struck areas of the country so my
house has a surge protector on it at the meter. My counter only goes to
999 and has been pegged out for a while now.

You probably should also have one on the washer. Down here in
lightning country, the idea of layers of protection is king. When I
was working we had 1000 customers who were not going to turn off their
computers and unplug them every afternoon in the summer so we had to
get pretty good at lightning protection.

BTW how good is your grounding electrode system?

Also, just because your machine has knobs, it doesn't mean it isn't
all electronic behind the panel. If you turn that knob and it is clear
this is just a rotary switch, there is a processor back there.