Jay

Default 2- vs. 3-prong outlets

zxcvbob wrote:

What's a "CO"?

Certificate of Occupancy (as someone already answered). In my case I
needed it to sell a home.

GFCI's work just fine without a ground. The NEC specifically allows you
to use them without a ground, but you're supposed to put a sticker on
them that says "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND". It doesn't have to pass that plug
in tester thing.

A GFI in our bathroom failed with the "tester" because there was no
ground. I grounded the outlet with a clip-lead to a copper pipe, and
the GFI worked fine.

So, in theory, I agree that a ground is not needed. I'm not sure that
is true in practice. And the best response for a Code Inspector is
"Yes, Sir". :+)

Do they make "two prong" GFCIs? I guess the GFI "breakers" are the best
answer (except for the trip to the basement everytime one trips).

Jay