Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default Slide rules

On 09/12/2019 09:33, Spike wrote:
On 08/12/2019 14:51, Brian Reay wrote:
On 08/12/2019 13:22, Robin wrote:
On 08/12/2019 11:57, Fredxx wrote:

22/7 is just 0.04% in error
355/113 is just 0.000000085% in error

If you can find an application where you need more accuracy please do
let us know.

GPS: it mandates 3.1415926535898 - neither more nor less accurate

More than 'good enough' for most things, certainly any Nav than most
people will be doing. In the pre-GPS days of Transat, one of the
calculations I used to do involved checking positions from the raw time
data*. I can't recall the exact number of decimal points I used but it
wasn't huge.

What is 'Transat' in this context?

Transat was was the name of the satellites and they were provided the
signals for the Transit Nav system. (Not sure why there were two names
although the satellites had (at least) two roles from memory so perhaps
that is the reason.

It was the first sat based nav system. Mainly used by the US but the UK
used it, especially the Royal Navy. It was used until the 1990s as I
recall although it was in the 80s I was using it.