Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Has anyone here made a wooden folding loft ladder?

On Saturday, 7 December 2019 10:54:27 UTC, wrote:
On 06/12/2019 20:43, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 6 December 2019 20:34:00 UTC, wrote:
On 06/12/2019 16:07, tabbypurr wrote:

When using multisections the pulley mech doesn't need to balance it, just needs to keep it within workable limits.

NT

I think you may be overthinking this counterweight thing. Mine has no counterweight or spring and is just fine. If you make one that's awkwardly heavy, a partial counterweight should be enough. A 1 storey ladder is not normally overly heavy.

NT

I can accept that for a regular ladder, but my thoughts have developed a
bit. I want more of a pull-down staircase than a regular ladder, with
treads instead of dowels, and also for the ladder to be wider than the
standard 400mm - maybe 550 wide. If a regular wooden ladder is about
10kg I'd guess I'd be heading more towards 25kg. When the ladder is in
the "up" position the top part should partly counterbalance the door and
ladder so all I need is a means of taking-out the rest of the load
(up'n'over garage door thingy?) and a means of reducing the effort of
sliding the ladder from the down to the up position. I also need a box
of tuits!

Well I tried.