Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Adam's apprentices

wrote in message
On Friday, 6 December 2019 09:40:39 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:
That kind of €˜tinkering by children is pretty well a thing of the past.

Without wishing to be racist etc, back in the 80s I was working in a
developing country on some military equipment along side some Americans.

OTOH in developing countries tinkering is much more prevalent and if the
soldiers *had* had a bicycle as children [1] they would probably have
known how to change the tyre, patch the inner tube, fix the chain etc and
even weld the frame with a couple of wires from the light socket and a
home-made transformer.

[1] Yes, I do mean one bike, many children :-)

And make their own interesting toys from junk
like those wheel things they run around fast,.
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/524599056567573251/