Chet Hayes

Default repairing crack in drywall ceiling ?

(jeffc) wrote in message . com...
"Roger F." wrote in message ...
The drywalled ceiling in my bathroom has developed a long crack along one of
the drywall seams. What would be the proper way to repair it. I have thought
about digging out the seam somewhat and remudding the joint. Would it be
better to retape the joint and apply mud again over that? It would raise
that area but if feathered out far enough maybe it wouldn't show. Any

You will have to tape the joint first. You will also have to feather
it. If you do it right of course it won't shows, because that's how
all the drywall in your house was done. But first, I'd want to know
why it's cracking. What is a "drywall seam"?

A drywall seam is where one sheet joins another. At that point, tape
is used.

Before repairing it, to be on the safe side, I'd put some additional
drywall screws in the ceiling in the areas bordering the crack.

Then, I'd use the mesh fabric type of tape and joint compound to fix
the crack. With 3 coats and a wide knife, you can taper it so it will
be unnoticeable.