Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] vjp2.at@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com is offline

Default Cracked LCD screen

In by John-Del on Tue, 03 Dec 2019 17:36:18 we perused:
*+-On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 12:23:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
*+- My laptop screen looks like it has two curving crisscrossing wite threads on
*+- it. Turned off, it looks like they are cracks, but not to the feel. Else
*+- works fine. Is it hazardous (eg mercury)? If I do nothing, will it get
*+- worse. I may have leaned on it, but don't recall any accident.
*+-

*+-If it's old, it could use CCFL back lighting which has a small amount of mercury. I don't believe there's any in an LED based display.

*+-You may have cracked it if you closed the top and there was something inside just a wee bit bigger than the gap between the screen and keyboard/mousepad.

*+-If you can see the defect with the laptop turned off in a bright light on an angle, then the inside glass layer is cracked. These cracks do generally get worse. If it's a newish laptop, you can change the screen.

Many thanks. It is a ten year old Acer Aspire ONE

- = -
Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus
blog: panix.com/~vjp2/ruminatn.htm - = - web: panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
facebook.com/vasjpan2 - linkedin.com/in/vasjpan02 - biostrategist.com