Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generac Model 0065512 Standby Generator

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 12:07:01 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 2:18:10 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 12/4/2019 11:56 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/3/19 2:15 PM, wrote:

[snip]

I suffered a brief outage recently - the lights blinked then came back
on.Â*Â* However my TVs had to be restarted manually.Â* Same for my PC.
Would this be normal?

Thanks
xxxxx

A lot of modern devices with electronics suffer from "power amnesia",
where a power outage leads to devices forgetting they're supposed to
be on. Many TVs have that problem (often smaller ones don't).
Computers do, but many allow normal "power" function with a setup option.

Â* There is usually a setting in the BIOS (may not apply to W10
machines) that allows you to choose auto-reboot or not . I set mine all
on no-reboot , out here we can get multiple short outages in a brief time .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Interesting, I never knew there was a setting, but it;s a good idea and
makes sense. For a typical PC I would not want it to reboot. If it's
an office PC that has to be used often or one for some dedicated application,
then having it power back up could make sense. I can't say I've paid close
attention, but if I had to guess, I think the ones here have been set to
stay off.

It is in the BIOS power settings and the OS is irrelevant. It is
really just whether the machine powers back on after a power failure
or stays off until you manually power it back on. It may just revert
to the state it was in when you lost power. Back before that was an
option I used to use a 12v relay with the N/C point going to the power
button. It will hold the power on line active until the 12v supply
comes up. All of my media and MP3 players come up after a power
failure.

My MP3 players always came up and down with the power even my current
W/7 machines and other than that nag screen, they seem fine with it.
In XP/W95-8 you could turn the nagger off. I haven't found it in 7 but
I am sure it is there somewhere.