Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCD tripping.

On Saturday, 23 November 2019 13:37:32 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 23 November 2019 11:06:56 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Wondered if there was some form of 'leakage' tester I could buy or make?
To find out the actual fault current in each and every thing which is
plugged in to it? And what is acceptable - as I realise some things will
have some anyway.

Any megger / insulation tester and test between (L+N) and E.

15 mA may trip a 30 mA RCD and that's 16 kOhm at 240 volts.

Permitted leakage for PAT:

Class Type Max Leakage Current
1 IT, Movable, Stationary, & Fixed 3.5mA
1 Heating & Cooking 0.75mA per kW*
2 All Types 0.25mA
* to a maximum of 5mA

https://www.pat-testing-training.net...ge-current.php

Owain

Thanks Owain. Did just wonder if there was a device you plugged the
appliance into which then gave a direct read out of leakage current.

PAT tester or megger. Or you can do it at mains voltage with just a meter & protecting resistor. Or use a microwave turntable motor as a 0-1000v supply.

But a multimeter, they pick up a useful percentage of faults.

NT