Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I Use a 120V Appliance with a 220V Socket?

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 00:34:59 -0600, "M. L." wrote:

I have a broken air conditioner that plugs into my 220V USA wall
socket. Its prongs look quite different from typical 120V appliance
prongs. Before next summer I'd like to buy a 120V portable room air
conditioner. Is there a converter available that would allow me to
safely plug the 120V 3-prong socket portable air conditioner into
the 220V outlet? Thanks.

By "portable" A/C do you mean free-standing, or a window-mounted, unit ?
how many BTUs are you looking for ?

Free-standing, like this 115v/12,000 BTU unit from Amazon:
https://urlzs.com/TXnw9

Is there no standard 120 volt outlet nearby ? Even if a heavy duty
extension cord is needed ?

I'll use that if I have to but the unused 220v socket is on its own
circuit. No extension cord needed.

You just need to change that at the panel to 120 (move the white wire
from the breaker to the neutral bus) and replace the receptacle.