zxcvbob

Default 2- vs. 3-prong outlets

Jay wrote:
GFI outlets do not work without a proper ground. (The "test" button
trips them, but the plug in tester will not). I know this because I
failed a CO because a GFI was on an ungrounded circuit (knob and tube).
I would up having to ground the whole circuit (which was wired with
14/2...just that the ground was "floating").

Jay

What's a "CO"?

GFCI's work just fine without a ground. The NEC specifically allows you to
use them without a ground, but you're supposed to put a sticker on them
that says "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND". It doesn't have to pass that plug in
tester thing.

-Bob