Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default costs, was: Can I Use a 120V Appliance with a 220V Socket?

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 22:33:34 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
wrote:

In Clare Snyder writes:

[sniiiippp]

120V air conditioners are commodity, highly competive,
and pretty low priced (in comparison...). Also readily
available at second hand outfits like Habitat,
Goodwill, and the like.

I wouldn't rely on that. I've been to Habitat once and to Goodwill and
the S. Army many times and don't remember ever seeing an AC.

Because they won't take them - particularly if over 3 years old.

I suspect there's a lot of local policy there, as I've
personally handed over units that were five years old...

(and seen others for sale).

In any event, the bigger point still stands. A commodity 120V
unit is _much_ cheaper than any 240V the original poster
is likely to find.

Agreed. 240 volt AC units other than central units are scarce as
hen's teeth around here.