w_tom

Default 2- vs. 3-prong outlets

Two prong outlets are sold because you cannot and must not
put a three prong receptacle in a box that is not grounded.
Yes, what Mike Ruskai posted is completely irresponsible and
unacceptable.

Two choices. First, have a friend in any big city mail you
the two prong receptacle. They cost well less than $1. They
are sold in any Home Depot, Loews, Sears Hardware, etc. Two
prong outlets are that commonly available.

Second, install a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter Duplex
Receptacle:
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...D=9876&pos=n04
Electrical code specifically lists the second solution -
which is also a safer solution. A sticky label, also required
by code, is provided warning that ground does not exist.
Attach label to GFI faceplate.

Both solutions are acceptable and meet quite specific code
requirements. If someone was hurt and insurance company found
what Mike Ruskai recommended, then insurance company probably
would not compensate or protect you. Then electrical
inspector would make a major evaluation of your building
causing even more money that must be spent immediately on an
electrician. Problems go on and on only because Mike could
not even appreciate a simple code requirement. Do not do as
Mike has posted. Friends in any city or the GFI are two valid
and safe solutions.

Suzie-Q wrote:
I have an old home that has mostly the 2-prong outlets (without the
ground). There are 3-prong outlets in the new add-on and converted
garage, but that's beside the point.

One of the 2-prong outlets is broken and needs to be replaced, but all
I can find *locally* (it's a small town) are 3-prong outlets. My only
question is, does anyone even make the 2-prong outlets anymore?
(If so, I'll make a special trip to the big city!)

I can't afford to have an electrician come in and change things right
now, so no need to suggest it. (I will, eventually.)