Posted to alt.home.repair
danny burstein danny burstein is offline

Default costs, was: Can I Use a 120V Appliance with a 220V Socket?

In micky writes:

120V air conditioners are commodity, highly competive,
and pretty low priced (in comparison...). Also readily
available at second hand outfits like Habitat,
Goodwill, and the like.

I wouldn't rely on that. I've been to Habitat once and to Goodwill and
the S. Army many times and don't remember ever seeing an AC.

Oh, absolutely there's no guarantee as to what you'll find
and when/where. But I have bumped into 120V AC units at
these places and... have even dropped my own with them when
I upgraded.

Come to think of it I've seen them at pawn shops, too.

So yeah, it's worth looking around. Especially if you're
in no hurry.

(Plus, natch, craigslist, ebay, etc.)