Pick

Default 2- vs. 3-prong outlets

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in
:

"Mike Ruskai" wrote in message
t.earthlink.net...
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:14:43 GMT, Suzie-Q wrote:

I have an old home that has mostly the 2-prong outlets (without the
ground). There are 3-prong outlets in the new add-on and converted
garage, but that's beside the point.

One of the 2-prong outlets is broken and needs to be replaced, but
all I can find *locally* (it's a small town) are 3-prong outlets. My
only question is, does anyone even make the 2-prong outlets anymore?
(If so, I'll make a special trip to the big city!)

I can't afford to have an electrician come in and change things right
now, so no need to suggest it. (I will, eventually.)

Just use a modern outlet. Screw a ground wire into the outlet box,
and connect that to the ground screw on the outlet (the green one).
It won't be properly grounded (unless the box is actually grounded,
which is unlikely), but there's no harm in wiring it that way. It
won't be any worse for grounded appliances than using those three
prong/two prong adapters.

good way to get the next owner to curse you, expecting a 3 prong outlet
to be properly wired with a ground.

I'm in that situation now One of the do-it-yourself wiring books I have
suggests using a GFI outlet in the absence of a proper ground. Does any
electrician type have an opinion on that?

Thanks,

Pick