Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I Use a 120V Appliance with a 220V Socket?

On 12/3/2019 12:49 AM, M. L. wrote:
I have a broken air conditioner that plugs into my 220V USA wall socket.
Its prongs look quite different from typical 120V appliance prongs.
Before next summer I'd like to buy a 120V portable room air conditioner.
Is there a converter available that would allow me to safely plug the
120V 3-prong socket portable air conditioner into the 220V outlet? Thanks.

There are ways but it may not meet code or could be dangerous. I'd
either buy a 220V AC or have an electrician convert it to a 120 outlet
the right way.

Do it right, not some half assed rig your neighbor can make for you.