Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Can I Use a 120V Appliance with a 220V Socket?

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 5:51:44 AM UTC-5, Mac Sparks wrote:
On 12/3/19 12:49 AM, M. L. wrote:
I have a broken air conditioner that plugs into my 220V USA wall socket. Its prongs look quite different from typical 120V appliance prongs. Before next summer I'd like to buy a 120V portable room air conditioner. Is there a converter available that
would allow me to safely plug the 120V 3-prong socket portable air conditioner into the 220V outlet? Thanks.

Why not buy a 240v unit so you don't have to rework/run new wires?

That's probably the cheapest and easiest solution. As others have said,
if it's a straight 240V circuit, no neutral, it would take changing the
breaker to convert it to 120V. It's likely the only receptacle on that
circuit, so there won't be a problem with other 240V receptacles also
going to 120V. Changing the breaker and putting in a new breaker is
not a big deal, but if you need an electrician to do it,
it's probably going to cost more than a 240V AC.