Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default Very, very old photographic film

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 11:07:01 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 01/12/2019 21:36, Nick Odell wrote:
One of the items in a job lot of out-of-date film turned out to be an
unopened box of Ilford sheet film which must have been manufactured
between 1942 and 1945. It's the oldest unexposed film I've ever come
across.

What type is it? I recall ageing FP3 being around post war in bulk. I
think by then almost all of the manufacturers were making safety film
from cellulose acetate. Useful timeline for Ilford product chronology:

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Il...hronology.html

Yes, FP3.

The route that I researched followed another link which said the film
was introduced in 1942 and the reason I suggested it was no younger
than 1945 was because of a logo change on the Ilford boxes in that
year.

A museum might be interested in it as stock in an old photographic shop.
Wet chemistry developing and printing has become a minority sport today.

That thought had crossed my mind too. I may enquire further in
Bradford at whatever the current name is for the National Media
Museum. But I knew I'd find the expertise I was looking for in good
old uk.d-i-y!

Thanks,

Nick