Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Please face forward and hold the handrail

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 21:02:03 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 12/1/2019 2:31 PM, Hawk wrote:
On 12/1/2019 1:51 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/01/2019 07:17 AM, Hawk wrote:
OR maybe I don't care to ruffle through the abundant links you provide
because it doesn't remove the fact that hot is hot. Anyone who
purchases
food from a drive thru is at risk of causing harm to themselves and/or
others from spills of food or worse, hot beverages. And maybe I simply
believe that drivers should focus on driving instead of eating,
drinking
hot beverages or removing the lids, texting or anything that diverts
the
attention from their driving. Family, friends or otherwise, I'd say the
same. If common sense makes me callous, so be it.

The woman in question was not driving and the vehicle was not in
motion. She was 79 with her grandson at the wheel. After getting the
coffee he had pulled aside to let her add the cream and sugar.

Correct, I acknowledge that in another reply and also added I'm
skeptical of the pulling over. Attorney's will advise to say so
otherwise, they hang themselves.

I also stated in another reply that driver or passenger(s) assume the
risk of injury as a passenger is not aware of what lies ahead while
driving. If it's true they did indeed pullover, the lady is still at
fault for being clumsy. Simply put, hot is hot and people know it. 109
+ degrees burns skin. Hot beverages are all over 109 degrees. Drink at
your own risk.

* I'm calling bull**** on that 109° degrees . I mean , that's only 10°
above body temp ! The burn temp is more like 120-125° , and that depends
on the age and health of the person involved . I keep my main water
heater set at 125° , and rinse off in the shower under straight hot
water . Not everybody likes it that hot but it won't burn the average
adult . Now the small w/h under the house that supplies the kitchen sink
and the dishwasher is set at max , around 140-145° for sanitation
reasons (it's fed from the main w/h).

At 120F water will cause 1st degree burns in 8 minutes and 3rd in 10
At 125F water will cause 1st degree burns in 2 minutes and 3rd in 4
At 130F water will cause 1st degree burns in 17 seconds and 3rd in 30
At 140F water will cause 1st degree burns in 3 seconds and 3rd in 5
At 155 water will cause 1st degree burns instantly and 3rd in 1 sec.