Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default Very, very old photographic film

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 13:57:42 -0800 (PST), Richard Donnelly
wrote:

Hi Nick, sorry to hijack your thread, but I seem to remember I have an old Kodak camera which came in to my possession after he had passed away in 1997. In the camera I noticed a little while back that the film had only been half used. May decide to take it some where (if there is anyway that develops old 110 film) just to see what the pictures he took were....That is if they will still be in a state to develope.

1997 is really not too old in those terms.

Last year we discovered some exposed but unprocessed black & white
film taken by my other half's late husband in 2002. In good hands (I
didn't trust myself for something of such sentimental value and sent
it to the lab I use for colour processing) we got some pictures which
are more contrasty and grainy than normal but evoke the times very
well. One of the prints is now framed on the mantelpiece.

Colour film is more likely to have unexpected colour casts due to age
but scanning or printing in black and white usually eliminates these
and results in classy-looking B&W pictures.

A basic rule of thumb is that unexposed film usually degrades in a
known way and can be compensated for in the way you take the picture
or process it afterwards. Exposed film undergoes chemical change at
the time of exposure and that's why it is best to process it promptly
regardless of the age of the film but as I said earlier, 1997 isn't
that old.

BTW I use photohippo.co.uk

Nick