Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Damned lights.

On 29/11/2019 17:49, NY wrote:
"John" wrote in message
2.236...
Who fits lights to this specification?

I want an outside light that is brighter than the neighbour's. I want
it to
switch on whenever a car goes past or someone walks by.
It must be aimed over the heads of anyone approaching my doorway. Ideally
the light should flood into the windows of the houses across the road.

Ours comes on and stays on 24/7 if the power goes off for a second and
then comes back on (eg when the high-voltage feed to the village fails
*yet again*). I have to be alert to the problem, and turn the power to
the light off (turn off the lighting circuit MCB, since the lamp appears
to be hard-wired with no switch) and then turn it back on after a delay
of about 10 seconds. It is a confounded nuisance.

The security light is one of several that was fitted to the (pre-owned)
house that we bought recently.

Fitting a security light which has no isolating switch is bizarre.

I now fit DP switches as standard on all outside lights in new builds
and rewires so that the neutral is switched.

--
Adam