Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke Mike Clarke is offline

Default Damned lights.

On 29/11/2019 22:06, Steve Walker wrote:
On 29/11/2019 17:49, NY wrote:
"John" wrote in message
2.236...
Who fits lights to this specification?

I want an outside light that is brighter than the neighbour's. I want
it to
switch on whenever a car goes past or someone walks by.
It must be aimed over the heads of anyone approaching my doorway.
Ideally
the light should flood into the windows of the houses across the road.

Ours comes on and stays on 24/7 if the power goes off for a second and
then comes back on (eg when the high-voltage feed to the village fails
*yet again*). I have to be alert to the problem, and turn the power to
the light off (turn off the lighting circuit MCB, since the lamp
appears to be hard-wired with no switch) and then turn it back on
after a delay of about 10 seconds. It is a confounded nuisance.

On the other hand, that is a useful feature for many people. I can
switch our front light off and on so as to "lock" it on while I do some
work on the car or just look for something in the boot. Similarly, I can
do the same with the garage light when I am cutting something outside,
in the evening. I specifically looked out for lights with that feature
as it is so useful. on the other hand, we very rarely suffer momentary
power failures and I can see how it would be a real nuisance there.
Maybe they should build in a 12 hour timer to cancel that feature
automatically.

Some versions overcome the problem of brief power failures by requiring
the light to be flipped off twice in quick succession to put them on
permanently.