Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default The disability industry

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
I do not think the over pricing of spare parts is exclusive most cars and
domestic appliances come immediately to mind but I agree the more niche an
industry is the greater the rip off.

We like Bosch products generally as a brand, one reason being their
website shows exploded views of their appliances and lists all the parts
and part numbers down to individual screws. I once did in a moment of
boredom an exercise to see how much it would cost to build a washing
machine by buying all the parts and assembling it yourself and did not
even get part way through it before it was already costing 5 times what we
paid never mind the cost of manufacture. I really would like to know from
someone in the spares supply industry how some of these prices are
justified because at the moment it seem a case of think of a number and
triple it!

it ought to be clear that it's "the costs of running a spares dept"

or would you rather that cost was averaged into the cost of buying the car
in the first place?

tim