Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default turkey sizes

On Friday, November 29, 2019 at 10:47:49 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

I think the National Turkey Federation claims 53% yield.

I was never ambitious enough to figure the net cost per ounce of cheap
whole chickens versus the various parts or skinless boneless breasts.
The local market usually had skinless boneless breasts at a very good
price. Cheap protein but I ate them so often I've developed sort of a
gag reflex.

Seems like everyone is saying around 50% meat from the turkey.

I was really wondering if others had noticed the already cooked turkeys
getting smaller.

I don't really care what it cost, I just want enough for everyone.
However I am not going to buy two turkeys for just 6 people at $ 35
each.

I just checked the prices at the local turkey farm here. It's a family
business, been around 50+ years. They sell turkeys, cooked or uncooked,
also have a small deli operation that serves turkey, soup, sandwiches,
pies, etc. For a rotisserie cooked turkey, it's $5.75 /lb and for
a smoked turkey breast, it's $13 a pound. They offer smoked whole
turkeys, but no posted price. So, a roasted 16 lb turkey would be $92 and
a 5 lb smoked breast would be $65. Sounds like a lot of money to me.
I did buy a whole cooked turkey from them once. A friend's father
had passed away and I split buying the turkey plus the rest of the
stuff with a friend. There is stuff is pretty good, but I don't
think the regular turkey is any better than what I can cook myself.

Cindy mentioned the labor is the thing and not the meat. I agree with
that. For a few dollars more they could get a larger turkey. Then I
would not have had to spend that much more to get another turkey at the
grocery store and cook it.

I think I have made up my mind that for Christmas I am going to the get
one of the Butterball ones. They have one that is frozen and in a
baking bag. They advertise you just take it from the freezer and put it
in the oven and in about 4 hours it is ready. Has anyonne tried that
one ?

I will still get one of the Boston butts from there as we like the
smoked pork and theirs was good.