Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Damned lights.

"John" wrote in message
2.236...
Who fits lights to this specification?

I want an outside light that is brighter than the neighbour's. I want it
switch on whenever a car goes past or someone walks by.
It must be aimed over the heads of anyone approaching my doorway. Ideally
the light should flood into the windows of the houses across the road.

Ours comes on and stays on 24/7 if the power goes off for a second and then
comes back on (eg when the high-voltage feed to the village fails *yet
again*). I have to be alert to the problem, and turn the power to the light
off (turn off the lighting circuit MCB, since the lamp appears to be
hard-wired with no switch) and then turn it back on after a delay of about
10 seconds. It is a confounded nuisance.

The security light is one of several that was fitted to the (pre-owned)
house that we bought recently.

Fitting a security light which has no isolating switch is bizarre.

Equally bizarre is another security light which is wired into the same
circuit as a normal switch-controlled outside light (ie without a PIR
sensor), so if you want to arm the security light you have to have the other
light permanently on. Or else you turn off the normal light and the security
light doesn't work.

After Christmas I'll dig out our solar-powered security lights from our
previous house and set those up in place of the 500W photoflood lights which
are a liability (they annoy the neighbours and they gobble up electricity if
the PIR fails to turn the light off).