Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default House alarm upgrade

On 28/11/2019 18:38, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All

I have a Honeywell Galaxy 2 alarm system which is connected to the
phone line so that it can send SMS to me when it goes off. This has
been a bit flakey over the years.

Anyway, there are laying fibre in the street and we can get a pretty
good deal on a fibre connection directly to the property so am
thinking of getting it. I was going to get rid of my landline all
together as we don't use it but have just thought... This would
bugger up the alarm. The fibre supplier only have a VoIP offering
which I assume will not work.

If you have VoIP, then they will offer some form of adaptor that will
present an interface that looks just like an analogue phone line[1], and
will respond to tone dialling in the same way the real line does. So
chances are the modem in the alarm would be unaware of the change.

[1] Normally called an FXS port.

What are my options? I see they do a GSM module although unsure if my
exact model works with it. Is this the best option? Does it also
require a monthly SIM contract too?

They will normally take any sim, so it could be a PAYG one - so long as
it makes some kind of call at least once every six months to keep the
number "connected"

Wonder if this is the trigger to upgrade to something more
sophisticated e.g. Maybe one that has a corresponding app on my phone
I can control it with or maybe link to CCTV (we have POE cameras) or
something. Haven't looked at this space in years so I'm sure there
are some cool things these days?

There are - although research the security carefully and make sure the
setup is done well, since there are loads of "security" systems out
there making camera feeds available to anyone able to google!

--
Cheers,

John.