Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default LG Smart TV constant reminders to retune

On 29/11/2019 05:41, wrote:
I think that this might be an LG-specific problem.

I bought an LG "smart" TV for the kitchen, a year or so ago. Already
had a Samsung smart TV in the lounge. The LG got great reviews
online, so I went with it.

I have exactly the same issues as you- almost daily prompts for
retune or firmware updates, the need to go through a certain
confirmatory sequence of selecting country/region etc. The Samsung
needs a retune from time to time, but the LG asks for it far more
frequently. I also dislike the interface on the LG, compared to the
Samsung (e.g. YouTube is one of the selectable, built in options in
the Samsung's main DTV screen, but with the LG, I have to choose the
web browser and navigate to
www.youtube.com

If its a Webos TV (normally has a horizontal menu of apps depicted in
slightly slanted "bars" at the bottom of the screen), then you can add
the dedicated youtube app there if its not already installed. Note you
can also hide apps you don't want - so it may be that its already
installed, and just not on the list of visible apps. You can use the
edit facility at the end of the application bar to choose what is shown.

Here is a video on adding it from the LG Content store if you need to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhGSBPxqZ2Y

I wouldn't buy another smart TV without testing the interface in a
shop.

Probably also a case of what you get used to. The web os TVs with the
magic remote are quite good IME (you can add a magic remote to many even
if they don't come with one). That lets you use the remote like a mouse
- just point at what you want Wii style.

--
Cheers,

John.