Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default turkey sizes

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 22:09:32 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

You didn't ask what size it was going to be before you ordered it?

BTW why don't you just cook your own turkey. It is about the easiest
thing in the world to do.

I probably should have. They all seem to be the same size.

To cook the turkeys you have to wait about 2 days or so for the frozen
ones to thaw. The people cooking them do it over wood and sort of smoke
them.

Today I read about the Butterball people having a turkey that you just
pop in the oven even though it is frozen. It comes in a special bag and
is ready in about 4 hours. I may try that for Christmas.

We did get a small turkey breast and put it in the oven and cooked it
ourselves when we saw how small the cooked one was. It was one that was
not frozen and just the whole breast part with the legs and wings cut
off.

I generally order fresh chilled never frozen turkey if I think about
it early enough. Pick up from the butcher 2 days ahead.
I have also done the roast from frozen trick - and it worked pretty
good. The fresh never frozen doesn't generally lose as much weight
because they are not generally "pumped up" like the commercial frozen
bird