Posted to alt.home.repair

Default turkey sizes

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 23:36:23 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/28/2019 10:46 PM, wrote:

You can usually get fresh (not frozen) turkeys around the holidays but
a lot of people say the frozen one is probably "fresher" since it was
flash frozen right after it was killed as opposed to being packed in
ice for up to a month.

Some years ago we bought a really fresh fresh bird locally. It was
better but much more expensive. Don't recall the price but at least
triple.

Went to my son's house and we had a frozen bird that was 49 cents a
pound. It was pretty damned good for that price.

That was what we got and it was pretty good but I will cook a turkey
every few months through the year. I probably should go to Publix
tomorrow and get another one. We usually make chili out of the left
overs after we get tired of turkey sandwiches.

I did weigh the bag of meat I got off of it and I have almost 5
pounds. We probably ate a pound. (12.5 pound bird, no neck). That
means I got a little less than 6 pounds.
This is really picking the bones clean tho. Since I am making Chili
with a lot of it, little pieces picked out of the carcass is still
meat. That seems to mean a little over half is lost to cooking or
bones. It will be more waste if you are just carving and not picking
the carcass clean. My "Chili Bag" is close to a pound that you would
not get with a carving knife.