Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default heat pump problem

In article ,
says...

Another question, what does it do when it's 66/68 and you just leave it?
Does it eventually come on? Does it go back on when it drops to 65?, etc.
Or does the compressor just stay off indefinitely? What was it doing just
before, was it maintaining 68? If so, then you'd think it must stay off
a long time when it's 40 outside for inside to drop two degrees.

I don't know how long it was off as it was 4 deg low when I got up this
morning.

If I leave the unit along, the air handler keeps blowing and the outside
unit never comes on. Last night the thermostat was set to 68 and the
inside air was 64.

To start with I went out side and checked the relay that turns on the
compresor and fan that blows on the outside coils. There was no power
on the coil. Pushing it in manually and the units motors ran while
manuallyh pushed in.

I cut off the power to the unit and 5 minuets later the power came back
on (load control from the power compay has that built in delay external
to the unit). Nothing any different.

Then went to the thermostat and set it to off. Waited about 2 minutes
and turned it back on. The unit started up and has been working fine
all day and to ten at night (which it is now).