Dave

Default Ceramic tiles over linoleum - Yes/No

Anything worth doing is worth doing right! Remove the linoleum. It
shouldn't be that big a job. Get a long handle scraper and sharpen the end
up and the stuff should peel/come up.
My 2 cents worth.

"Alan" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:39:45 -0500, "TX_Dude"

The wife wants to tile the kitchen with 1 ft square ceramic tiles.
So she goes out and buys the stuff at Lowe's. The salesperson
tells her that it's OK to ceramic tile over linoleum (or it may
be vinyl....whatever, it's a 1 piece sheet). I say it's not OK, that
the old flooring should be removed. The house has a concrete
slab and it seems to me that direct adhesion to the slab would
be best. The wife is giving me grief.... says I'm nit-pickin and
creating more work for myself.

I've done a Google Groups search on "ceramic installed over
linoleum" and the opinions seem to be split.

Opinions?

Something else to consider. Is the flooring old enough that it could
contain asbestos?