Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Metalwork lathe for beginner

In message ,
writes
On 28/11/2019 17:30, wrote:

Snip
Thanks Martin and John for the replies.

The truth is, I don't really know what I want to make. From time to
time, it might be turning a threaded item, or various parts for some
contraption that I'm making. A lot will be making replacement parts for
tools and machines in the household inventory. Materials will mainly be
steel, brass or aluminium.

I did consider night classes and to my amazement, the wife is
interested, too. She finds ThisOldTony's YouTube channel almost as
fascinating as I do.

In terms of experience, I'm a reasonably handy DIYer and I have a fair
collection of toys, but no metal lathe experience (only wood, which is
obviously a different sport).

Not really.

There are probably more wood shavings on my lathe bed than steel swarf.

For most d-i-y work with HSS tooling, coolant is unnecessary.

I think the evening class suggestion a good one as a lathe is a
dangerous piece of equipment to *learn by experience* on.

You might save a few pennies by not bothering with a gear box and lead
screw but I use mine a lot for hands off turning.
--
Tim Lamb