Posted to uk.d-i-y
alan_m alan_m is offline

Default House alarm upgrade

On 28/11/2019 18:38, Lee Nowell wrote:

What are my options? I see they do a GSM module although unsure if my exact model works with it. Is this the best option? Does it also require a monthly SIM contract too?

No contact - just a Pay As You Go SIM with credit that doesn't disappear
at the end of the month. Running cost of mine around £1.50 year.

GiffGaff SIMs are PAYG with the credit never running out. You only have
to use the number (sending a text message will do) once every 6
months(?). I have a third party GSM module in my bell box that is
programmed to send me "I'm still alive and working" text message every
two weeks and if the alarm is triggered it will send an appropriate text
to any number(s) programmed in its memory. The former message(s)
satisfies the need to use the SIM every 6 months.

My GSM module can be fully programmed via text messages from a mobile
phone. It can also send interactive text messages - for instance I query
the received signal strength and it returns an instant text message with
the figure.

With GiffGaff you can subscribe to a (monthly) data/phone/text package
that does expire on a monthly basis but this is optional. These
additional monthly packages are called Goodybags/Databags but you really
don't need them for a SIM in an alarm. Just put some ordinary credit,
say £10, on the PAYG SIM and the appropriate fee is deducted from this
credit for the texts sent (5p per text).

I also keep a throw away phone in my car with a GiffGaff SIM with £15 of
credit for emergency use. I just have to remember to make one phone call
on it every 6 months to keep the SIM alive. The same credit has been on
that phone/SIM for at least 3 years.

https://www.giffgaff.com/pricing