Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] bill.shitner@gmail.com is offline

Default Metalwork lathe for beginner

On 28/11/2019 17:30, wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a metalwork lathe and while I'm tempted to
go for a decent old Boxford or Colchester, part of me wonders whether
it might be more sensible to start with one of those Chinesium
toy/mini lathes, as a brand new item. The main advantages I see in
the latter: 1. I could get started straight away, rather than
(perhaps) having to spend an age fettling 2. It would use less space
and be generally easier to locate/move about 3. I could get familiar
with the practicalities/principles of lathe work at a more convenient
scale

Of course, a cheap-ish mini lathe will be fairly crap and it might be
a dud straight out of the box, or it might fail after little use and
regardless, it will be very limited in what it can do.

What level of experience do you have already? It might be worthwhile
looking for evening classes in workshop practice including lathes and
milling in your area before splashing out on new or second hand kit.
They will have bigger more powerful and CNC kit to play with.

Assuming I don't mind burning £300-£500 on a mini lathe in the
expectation that I will need to blow a further £1200 or so not too
far down the line, is a mini lathe worthwhile prep for big boys
toys?

What sort of things are you intending to make? How big a job does it
need to swing? And do you intend to turn steel or mostly softer
lightweight materials like brass, bronze and nylon?

Blue practice wax is quite handy to learn on (and recyclable).

Ancillary tools mount up but are transferable when you upgrade.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Thanks Martin and John for the replies.

The truth is, I don't really know what I want to make. From time to time, it might be turning a threaded item, or various parts for some contraption that I'm making. A lot will be making replacement parts for tools and machines in the household inventory. Materials will mainly be steel, brass or aluminium.

I did consider night classes and to my amazement, the wife is interested, too. She finds ThisOldTony's YouTube channel almost as fascinating as I do.

In terms of experience, I'm a reasonably handy DIYer and I have a fair collection of toys, but no metal lathe experience (only wood, which is obviously a different sport).

Regards.

Jim.