Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] bill.shitner@gmail.com is offline

Default Metalwork lathe for beginner

I'm thinking about getting a metalwork lathe and while I'm tempted to go for a decent old Boxford or Colchester, part of me wonders whether it might be more sensible to start with one of those Chinesium toy/mini lathes, as a brand new item. The main advantages I see in the latter:
1. I could get started straight away, rather than (perhaps) having to spend an age fettling
2. It would use less space and be generally easier to locate/move about
3. I could get familiar with the practicalities/principles of lathe work at a more convenient scale

Of course, a cheap-ish mini lathe will be fairly crap and it might be a dud straight out of the box, or it might fail after little use and regardless, it will be very limited in what it can do.

Assuming I don't mind burning £300-£500 on a mini lathe in the expectation that I will need to blow a further £1200 or so not too far down the line, is a mini lathe worthwhile prep for big boys toys?

Thanks.

Bill.