Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Generac Generator Experience?

On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 11:22:35 AM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 01:15:50 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 20:11:50 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 17:09:31 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

trader_4 writes:
On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 5:20:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I am not so familiar with generac generator but I do have a Solar Generator. Looking forward to see what others would recommend.
https://www.portablegenerator.co/best-solar-generator/

And what good does a portable solar generator do you when it's night,
20F outside and you need to run the furnace, hot water, etc? Or
you need it at a job and it's cloudy? WTF?

There is a perfectly viable generator in every driveway, sufficient
at least to run a fridge every couple of hours, and you can listen
to the radio as the same time. Might even be sufficient to run the
air handler in a gas furnace, depending on furnace size.

Get a quality 1000W 12 volt inverter and use your car/truck as an emergency
generator. Large, mobile tank of fuel, far more fuel efficient than
typical portable generators. Useful in an emergency, and relatively
inexpensive.
Actually you need to check your facts. Running your car is NOT more
fuel efficient than most portable generators. At idle they (most) can
not keep up with a 1500 watt inverter - may keep up with 1000.
Also fuel burn at idle is better than .6 gallons per hour per liter
displacement. That is about 2 GPH for a 3.3 liter car idling with no
load.
A 5kw gasoline portable generator burns about .75 GPH

Don't let physics or the instructions from inverter manufacturers
influence your thoughts but my 1100 inverter instruction manual says I
should be using 2 ga conductors if it is right there and going up
pretty fast from there.. There is no way an 8 ga conductor from an
alternator is serving this inverter.

a 130 amp automotive alternator CAN put out 130 amps into a dead
battery and load - for a few minutes. The #4 or #6 cable from the
alternator to the battery can handle it for that short time - being
about 3 feet long and direct air cooled.

And then what happens? The alternator burns out? I would think they
would be designed so that's impossible and if it was, there would be
a lot of alternators dying when trying to recharge a dead battery.
Instead people have a dead battery, get a jump start, drive away and
no apparent problems.

There is no way the average vehicle alternator puts out more thanan
average 55-60 amps steady state - and if asked to do so will burn out
relatively quickly - GM had a lot of trouble with their 135 amp units
when batteries failed .