Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default SDD upgrade, clone or fresh install?

On 27/11/2019 21:36, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 15:07:16 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 27/11/2019 10:56, T i m wrote:
Peeps,

Following on from the Digital Audio Workstation / laptop question
previously, we have since found a s/h i5 HP Notebook that seems to run
Reason 11 ok. It came with a 750GB hdd that I'd like to swap out for a
SSD (a new 500GB Samsung 860 EVO is sitting here ready).

Now, I think I read somewhere that if you clone a std HDD onto a SSD
you may not get the optimum configuration, compared with allowing W10
to partition the drive from scratch itself. This is down to partition
/ block boundaries or some such? [1]

That only really applies to partitions created under WinXP or earlier.

Ah. I've got a 120GB SSD hanging off this XP / Mac Mini that I know it
can't deal with 'nicely' (no TRIM etc).

Vista onward has always aligned things on boundaries that match Advanced
Format drives.

So was that under the control of the OS, even when using a bootable
partition tool (like Acronis)?

Normally just a problem on the built in partition / install tools.

Clone it, it should be fine.

Yeah, I'm happy it will work (and faster than the old HDD), it was
just the question of if it would be optimised (if I had a free choice
of cloning or installing from scratch). I'll take your reassurance
that it will and clone. ;-)

If you run msinfo32, then look under Components, Storage, & Disks it
should show you the Partition Starting Offset for each logical volume.
Divide that by 4096 and check you get an integer result.

--
Cheers,

John.