Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default SDD upgrade, clone or fresh install?

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 17:09:32 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

snip

[1] Or can you re-configure such things post cloning, with Gparted or
the like?

With mine (Samsung 950 Pro, SATA) I cloned it with Macrium Reflect,
disconnected the HDD and it booted straight away.

If it were here I could back it up to my WHS, swap drives and image it
back from the server. That way I still have the original drive
(intact), a backup on the server and am writing the new drive when
it's in it's final position. ;-)

ISTR having to do a couple
of things (BIOS?) first.

Yeah. I might on one of my home built desktops as I may have disabled
any unused / wanted onboard devices to help KISS. ;-)

This was a couple of years or so ago and the MoBo
was just OK with last BIOS issued.

I find it a bit of a disappointment when I check for BIOS updates and
there aren't any (rare). More confusing when you find you are running
a later BIOS version than they have on their support sire (even when
it's a few years old)?

I also got a driver so that I could try a NVMe one, but it boots to useable
in 35s even with all the things that run at start.

That's what daughters i3 W7 laptop went to ... from about 3 mins and
made a big difference to how (often especially) she used it.

Cheers, T i m