Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default SDD upgrade, clone or fresh install?

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 14:36:56 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

snip

[1] Or can you re-configure such things post cloning, with Gparted or
the like?

I've recently done something similar. I had a 240GB SSD available in a
little USB caddy, that I plugged into this computer, cloned the 150GB
HDD to it using Acronis, took it out and replaced it with the SSD, and
it powered up pretty much as before

It's good when that happens eh. ;-)

(rather to my surprise, I must
say. IME if anything can go wrong when messing with the insides of a
computer, it will!).

In many cases I'm the opposite. In my years of IT support I would go
to a users machine that was reported as 'playing up', have them
demonstrate the problem to me, only to it work perfectly (of course).
;-)

Then I re-formatted the HDD to remove everything
on it and put it back, to give me an additional 150GB for whatever I
choose.

Yeah, I think I'll do the same with the 750G that's in there atm.

Had to tell the BIOS that I was using two discs, but apart
from that, all is now working perfectly AFAICT.

Unless someone had turned off automatic support for any unused ports,
it should have picked them up automatically. Could it have just been
the boot sequence, the PC trying to boot from the original drive?

But replacing a 150GB
HDD by a 240GB SSD may have made the swap easier than if it were the
other way round - I don't know.

If the migration / cloning tool can't support that, or if you had more
data on the drive than the new destination could take, then no, it may
not have made much difference.

But I'm delighted the way it all zings along now; much faster than
before!

It was the same with daughters i3 Tosh laptop. I have done several
others that haven't been so 'obvious' in the improvement but they were
usually either crappy SSD's or not a bottleneck in the first place.

Cheers, T i m