Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generac Generator Experience?

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 17:09:31 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

trader_4 writes:
On Wednesday, November 27, 2019 at 5:20:57 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I am not so familiar with generac generator but I do have a Solar Generator. Looking forward to see what others would recommend.
https://www.portablegenerator.co/best-solar-generator/

And what good does a portable solar generator do you when it's night,
20F outside and you need to run the furnace, hot water, etc? Or
you need it at a job and it's cloudy? WTF?

There is a perfectly viable generator in every driveway, sufficient
at least to run a fridge every couple of hours, and you can listen
to the radio as the same time. Might even be sufficient to run the
air handler in a gas furnace, depending on furnace size.

Get a quality 1000W 12 volt inverter and use your car/truck as an emergency
generator. Large, mobile tank of fuel, far more fuel efficient than
typical portable generators. Useful in an emergency, and relatively
inexpensive.

Your car alternator is not enough to run a 1kw inverter (roughly
100a). I have an 1100w in my golf cart and it will kill all 6 deep
cycle batteries pretty fast. (each with much more capacity than a
starting battery in a car).
I am also pretty skeptical of the claims that some car alternators
have since they are connected with 8ga or even 10ga wire. It certainly
is not going to produce 80a, some even say 100a for long without that
wire becoming a toaster.
You start playing with these inverters and you find out 12v needs a
lot more than 10x the 120v output amps. They run hot and heat is watts
wasted.

Oh BTW, isn't your car burning that evil fossil fuel?