Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default SDD upgrade, clone or fresh install?

On 27/11/2019 10:56, T i m wrote:
Peeps,

Following on from the Digital Audio Workstation / laptop question
previously, we have since found a s/h i5 HP Notebook that seems to run
Reason 11 ok. It came with a 750GB hdd that I'd like to swap out for a
SSD (a new 500GB Samsung 860 EVO is sitting here ready).

Now, I think I read somewhere that if you clone a std HDD onto a SSD
you may not get the optimum configuration, compared with allowing W10
to partition the drive from scratch itself. This is down to partition
/ block boundaries or some such? [1]

That only really applies to partitions created under WinXP or earlier.
Vista onward has always aligned things on boundaries that match Advanced
Format drives.

So, whilst this is a pretty fresh re-install of W10, she's taken it to
school the last couple of days and has to get the school IT dept to
put it online.

Now, if a fresh install (that is potentially going to be running for a
while, especially if she goes onto UNI etc) could give better results
than cloning, I might as well do that, even if she has to 'bother'
school IT again.

Thoughts please?

Clone it, it should be fine.

--