Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default SDD upgrade, clone or fresh install?

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 14:28:45 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

snip

Now, I think I read somewhere that if you clone a std HDD onto a SSD
you may not get the optimum configuration, compared with allowing W10
to partition the drive from scratch itself. This is down to partition
/ block boundaries or some such? [1]

You won't notice the performance hit for block boundaries

Ok, thanks.

but you should
reconfigure the cloned disk to know that it is an SSD so that windows
won't do silly things to speed up spinning rust that slow down an SSD. I
think Win10 gets it right by default but earlier Windoze didn't.

https://www.tenforums.com/installati...4-pro-ssd.html

Noted. I think I've been though most of that before but a handy recap.

Be prepared for eventual failure - SSDs when they go wrong leave you
with no access at all to any data.

Quite.

Rare but not completely unknown.

Sure. I'm going to put the 750GB drive I take out in a USB3 caddy and
see if my ClickFree dongle backs up everything she would consider
important.

Backups of work in progress is a very good idea...

I've set up another PC on that network to backup automatically to the
OMV NAS and that in turn backs itself up when you plug in a USB drive.
I might look into some cloud storage for them as well.

snip

You can clone it across provided that the content of the old disk will
fit on the new one and then run one of the tools to check and optimise
the configuration.

Check. Brand new W10 install with just the Reason 11 DAW so pretty
empty.

Samsung's disk magician is pretty good.

Interesting, thanks.

If I were doing it for myself, I'd be tempted to do a fresh install to
the new SSD with it in it's proper place, not in a caddy and then
swapping over.

EVOs can just about saturate a SATA 6G link so if you have an interface
capable of that speed or better it is worth putting the SSD on it.

Not sure I've got a choice on this Notebook Martin. ;-)

Cheers, T i m