Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDD upgrade, clone or fresh install?

On 27/11/2019 10:56, T i m wrote:
Peeps,

Following on from the Digital Audio Workstation / laptop question
previously, we have since found a s/h i5 HP Notebook that seems to run
Reason 11 ok. It came with a 750GB hdd that I'd like to swap out for a
SSD (a new 500GB Samsung 860 EVO is sitting here ready).

Now, I think I read somewhere that if you clone a std HDD onto a SSD
you may not get the optimum configuration, compared with allowing W10
to partition the drive from scratch itself. This is down to partition
/ block boundaries or some such? [1]

You won't notice the performance hit for block boundaries but you should
reconfigure the cloned disk to know that it is an SSD so that windows
won't do silly things to speed up spinning rust that slow down an SSD. I
think Win10 gets it right by default but earlier Windoze didn't.

https://www.tenforums.com/installati...4-pro-ssd.html

Be prepared for eventual failure - SSDs when they go wrong leave you
with no access at all to any data. Rare but not completely unknown.
Backups of work in progress is a very good idea...

So, whilst this is a pretty fresh re-install of W10, she's taken it to
school the last couple of days and has to get the school IT dept to
put it online.

Now, if a fresh install (that is potentially going to be running for a
while, especially if she goes onto UNI etc) could give better results
than cloning, I might as well do that, even if she has to 'bother'
school IT again.

Thoughts please?

You can clone it across provided that the content of the old disk will
fit on the new one and then run one of the tools to check and optimise
the configuration. Samsung's disk magician is pretty good.

EVOs can just about saturate a SATA 6G link so if you have an interface
capable of that speed or better it is worth putting the SSD on it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown