Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default key safe recommendation

On 26/11/2019 12:16, whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, 23 November 2019 14:50:29 UTC, Alistair Tyrrell wrote:
In article ,
says...

I'd be wary of any 4 digit code...

We had an aged relative who was admitted to hospital. When a little
better he wanted some stuff, but lost his keys on admission...
We assumed warden or neighbour would have spare key. They didn't...

I got the 4 digit code at second try. I wonder how many other dwellings
in the same complex had identical or very similar codes? So the last 4
digits of his land line would probably have been more secure.

Apparently many people have set a code of a memorable year
such as DoB or marriage. So a high percentage of all
keysafes have the first two digits set to 19 meaning the
thief only has to twiddle wheels 3 and 4.

User error then.
The easy way to get around such simple people is to tell them to put the code in backwards making 19 the LAST 2 digits xx19
Still not the best solution.

Parents' house in France (now sold) had the combination 1815 (Battle of
Waterloo).

SteveW