Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The disability industry

Some years ago though, there were some dishes which were apparently warping
in use. I don't recall the make, but it does make you wonder about quality
control even back then.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Monday, 25 November 2019 14:18:24 UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I do not think the over pricing of spare parts is exclusive
most cars and domestic appliances come immediately to mind
but I agree the more niche an industry is the greater the rip off.

Most spare parts are low-volume because most things don't get repaired -
although this obviously doesn't apply to stairlift and alarm batteries.

"The disabled" and "the elderly" are usually regarded as being clueless and
will spend money on anything advertised by a nice man wearing a cardigan
[1], and anything non-core-activity that's bought by companies is fair game.
Manufacturers who calculate the cost of a product down to 0.001 penny will
pay for lightbulbs at £30 a pop to "facilities management".

"Blue roll" is £7 from cleaning supplies companies. It's £2 in the local
tat-for-christmas pop-up shop.

Owain

[1] Obviously this does not apply to a satellite dish featured on the front
cover of "Television"